While visiting your local nail salon may be considered a (much-anticipated) weekly ritual, the wear and tear from toxic removers, constant cutting and filing, and other unsafe practices can take a toll when it comes to the health of your nails. If your nail beds appear broken and brittle, you may want to forgo your weekly appointment as it’s important to give your nails a chance to breathe (and grow). Plus, the chemical-laden supplies and harmful bacteria that come with the salon experience are not only bad for your nails, but can affect your overall health as well.
Leaving more time between booking your manicure appointments doesn’t mean you have to let your nails go rogue, as you can care for them at home with products that will enhance both the health and appearance naturally. You can also protect your nails by avoiding prologued exposure to water, which allows the growth of bacteria and weakens the nail, by making a conscious effort to wear gloves while doing dishes or other house chores. As for caring for your hands at home, there are several DIY treatments that can help reverse ill-effects from the toxins, fungi, and bacteria that can affect your nails. To start, we suggest trying out a DIY strengthening solution that is toxin free and easy to whip up (it involves only one main ingredient). You’ll be surprised by how well this natural strengthening recipe works, as well as with the progress of your nails after just a few weeks of prioritizing this routine.
What you’ll need:
Organic olive oil
Small (heat-safe) bowl
Saucepan or microwave
- Heat a small amount of olive oil in a saucepan or microwave until warm.
- Pour the warm oil into a small bowl and be sure it is cool enough to apply to the skin.
- Using a cotton swab, coat the entire nail bed and underside of the nail with the oil and let it soak in for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Rinse and dry your nails and leave without polish.
- Repeat once a day for two weeks. Note: We suggest applying the solution after you’ve removed your nail polish (with toxin-free remover) to help restore moisture and nutrients.
Will you try this natural nail strengthener? Tell us in the comments below.